Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Carbon Footprint and What We Can Learn From It

The Carbon Footprint shows our personal contribution to global climate change through monitoring co2 emissions we produce daily.  The big two categories of emissions are transportation and home energy consumption.  Home energy comes from anything use in your home that needs fuel or power to operate, the bi product of this is chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs) and hexafluoride (SF6).  Carbon dioxide (CO2) emission is comes from all of our vehicles and machinery that need oil to run.  The effects of these emissions is changing our home the planet earth, now trapped inside of our biosphere we live amongst these emissions as part of our home on a larger scale.  Humans have the biggest impact on the environment and our population is increasing as well as the amount of emissions we create.
Greenhouse Gas emissions are transferred into carbon equivalent units for measurement, this allows for comparison of the potential threat posed by different gases.

My carbon footprint household average is 1806 lbs. [819 kg.] of carbon dioxide per month.
This is equivalent to 903 lbs. [410 kg.] per person.
My emissions are 84% from home energy and 16% from transportation.

legend

I learned by monitoring my energy use for this project I could use better strategies and lower my emissions for future months and save money by investing in more energy efficient apartment devices.  Overall I felt the carbon footprint helped me monitor my energy use and the awareness has benefited me slightly with minimal effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment